News & Events
Fri 12th Jun 2015
Mon 1st Jun 2015
Wed 27th May 2015
Wed 29th Apr 2015
Wed 1st Apr 2015
Mon 2nd Mar 2015
Tue 5th Feb 2013
Mon 17th Sep 2012
Frequently Asked QuestionsQ - What does YMCA stand for, and can anyone be involved with the YMCA ?
In the years after its founding in 1844, the Young Men's Christian Association focused on creating opportunities for fellowship, education and mutual support for young male Christians, especially those who had moved from their homes to take up work in the towns and cities of England during the industrial revolution.
After exhibiting at the Great Exhibition of 1851, the YMCA grew rapidly to become a worldwide Movement, and the range and scope of our work broadened to include women and men of all ages.
Today, the YMCA strives to be an inclusive Christian organisation - open to all people of all faiths and of none.
Q - How big is the YMCA ?
YMCA is a Global organisation in 119 countries around the world. In England, there are 121 YMCAs providing housing, community health and fitness facilities, childcare programmes, and other training programmes to encourage, support and challenge young people to become all that they can.
Q - Where can I find out more information on other YMCA's in England and Internationally ?
The following websites will be able to give you details of other YMCA's in England, what facilities they provide and their locations:
YMCA England - www.ymca.org.uk
World Alliance of YMCA's - www.ymca.int
European Alliance of YMCA's - www.ymcaeurope.com
Did you know....?
- YMCAs in England impact upon the lives of over 500,000 people every year.
- Every year, the YMCA intensively supports nearly 215,000 young people.
- YMCAs serve 530 different communities across the country.
- Every year, volunteers in the YMCA give almost 800,000 hours of their time to help young people.
- The YMCA enables nearly 24,000 people every year to engage in education, skills and training to enable them to improve their opportunities in the job market.
- The YMCA is the largest voluntary sector provider of safe, supported accommodation for single men and women aged between 16-30 years old.